“It was definitely not how we wanted to end our last streak before the conference game,” the head coach said. Jayson Wiseman. “Our effort against Oakland was lackluster at best and an incredibly disappointing loss. It was good to bounce back and win against St. Petes, but it was too close given the level difference. Not playing all of our starters is no excuse for the game to be so tight.”
Wiseman adds: “After a few days off, we’ll get back to work, try to clean things up from this trip and focus for the start of the MAC, when we host the Lucas County team on the 20th.”
How did it happen
Against Oakland, EMU got the double point to start. The No. 2 duo of senior red shirts Luisa Pelayo (Porto, Portugal-Colegio CEBES (Wright State)) and Grace Whitney (Imlay City, Michigan-Imlay City (Wright State)) got back on track with a 6-2 win. At number 3, Sabina Brichackova (Cheb, Czech Republic-Gymnazium Jana Blahoslava) and Prerna Vichare (Mumbai, India-College of Commerce and Economics) also picked up a 6-2 victory. Vichare also won his singles match, 2-6, 6-3, 10-6, in second place. The Eagles couldn’t pull off a win, losing 5-2 to the Golden Grizzles.
Later in the day against St. Petersburg College, the Green and White swept the double. After the hot start, Eastern saw Pelayo at No. 1 (2-0, ret), Brichackova at No. 3 (6-4, 5-7, 6-2) and the second in redshirt Julia Piatek (Melgiew, Poland-Liceum Lublin (Salem College)) at No. 5 (6-0, 6-1). The Eagles won the game against the Knights, 4-3.
1. Nirva Patel/Yasmin Glazbrook (OAK) def. Isabelle Popma/Vasavi Ganesan (EMU) 6-4
2. Luisa Pelayo/Grace Whitney (EMU) def. Jillian Milano/Tegan Heaton (OAK) 6-2
3. Sabina Brichackova/Prerna Vichare (EMU) def. Mia Melnizki/Emma Hultqvist (OAK) 6-2
1. Liza Mladentseva (OAK) defeated. Luisa Pelayo (EMU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Prerna Vichare (EMU) def. Yasmin Glazbrook (OAK) 2-6, 6-3, 10-6
3. Nirva Patel (OAK) defeated. Sabina Brichackova (EMU) 6-7 (0-4), 7-6 (5-0), 10-8
4. Jillian Milano (OAK) defeated. Isabelle Popma (EMU) 6-2, 3-6, 10-8
5. Tegan Heaton (OAK) def. Vasavi Ganesan (EMU) 6-2, 4-6, 10-5
6. Mia Melnizki (OAK) defeated. Julia Piatek (EMU) 4-6, 6-2, 10-7
1. Luisa Pelayo/Grace Whitney (EMU) def. Naomi McKenzie/Valeria Cherfus (STPETE) 6-2
2. Sabina Brichackova/Prerna Vichare (EMU) def. Lucia Garcia/Georgia Browne (STPETE) 6-0
3. Emma-Lou Pommiers/Julia Piatek (EMU) def. Karla Ortega/Robyn Hancock (STPETE) 6-0
1. Luisa Pelayo (EMU) def. Naomi McKenzie (STPETE) 2-0, retired
2. Valeria Cherfus (STPETE) defeated. Prerna Vichare (EMU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Sabina Brichackova (EMU) def. Lucia Garcia (STPETE) 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
4. Georgia Browne (STPETE) defeated. Emma-Lou Pommiers (EMU) 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (4-0)
5. Julia Piatek (EMU) def. Karla Ortega (STPETE) 6-0, 6-1
6. Kaede Tada (STPETE) defeated. Asia Allen (EMU) 6-1, 6-2
Eastern will begin Mid-American Conference action on Sunday, March 20, when they take on the University of Toledo at 11:30 a.m., followed by Tiffin University at 6:30 p.m.